I use this recipe in place of traditional taco meat. It’s perfect for tacos, nachos, chip dip, burritos, or taco salads! I like it because it has a ton of flavor without having to rely on a lot of salt or spices. I keep the ingredients on hand in the pantry (aside from the meat) so that I can easily make it any time. Also, it can be made in less than 30 minutes! Bonus!
- Prep time: no prep time unless you count opening packages.
- Cook time: approx. 10-15 minutes.
- Makes about 1-2lbs of meat mix.
- 1 lb ground beef (I use the leanest I can afford)
- 1 lb ground turkey meat (I use this to add volume without adding more beef, but you can use whichever meat choices work for you)
- about 16oz your favorite salsa (I use chunky Pace because I like the texture it adds)
- 1 can black beans (about 16oz)
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- Put all meat into a large cooking pan. Brown and mash the meat into crumbles on medium heat until only a slight amount of pink remains in the meat.
- Add the can of black beans. Simmer for a minute or two.
- Add taco seasoning and mix into meat using the juices created by the cooking meat to help mix it in.
- Once taco seasoning is mixed into the meat, add the salsa. Mix all ingredients well until they are evenly mixed.
- Set heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes. This allows the beans to soften and the flavors to mingle.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
It was really tough to come up with a name for this recipe because in our family, we affectionately refer to this meal as “Taco Slop” because it is so versatile and can be slopped on anything from a tortilla, a chip, or a salad. When I first started writing my blog, I knew that I wanted to share this family favorite from the start, but I knew that if I titled it “Slop” I probably wouldn’t get that many views. I hope when you try this recipe that you can develop your own name for it. Call it whatever you like! But if you find things about it that you like to change or add, please write a comment below and share it. I’d love to hear about your version!
- Serving size: 1/2 cup of meat mix
- 1 serving is approximately 144 Calories; 10.7g Fat; 2.3g Sat. Fat; 42.4mg Cholest.; 439mg Sodium; 8.5g Carbs; 1.8g Fiber; 2.5g Sugar; 14.8g Protein.